Captain's log #37

Done with the vocals. And I don't want to be overenthusiastic, but I'm certainly enthusiastic. To me artistic creation is about at some point being able to say "yeah, that's me". It's like your face is buried and sometimes, after a lot of effort, you get to unbury it and recognize your features. I feel like I AM in this song, and that's such a rare occurrence, it's a moment of growth for this little life living here.

This can sound so pompous, of course... So I do my best to stay grounded too. I remember a quote by Rilke -I quote by heart-, that went something like "we know how fragile we are by looking at how small our victories are". At the end of all the struggle, all the change you get in the world is a new song out there, yet another computer file out there, with 3-5 minutes of sound who someone hopefully will enjoy, without noticing it too much... It's easy for anyone to say "big deal", even for the same person who makes the music sometimes... but there is also another side to the story, of course...

The vocal tracking session has gone so smooth that I have even convinced myself afterwards to go through the drudgery of moving the drums from QTractor to Ardour and configure all the buses... With that out of the way, all that remains is slicing and dicing the vocal tracks from the "redux" mode to normal, some minor comping, and I can start mixing. It's incredible, at the end if you persevere you eat the fucking elephant...

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"