Captain's log #25

I just come from listening "Now you're talking". I think I have decent guitars. It bothers me not having reached the bottom of this matter, but I've made great learnings that will help me getting rid of problems in the future, for sure (for example, I now understand the connections screen in qjackctl and can change stuff there directly, which is very handy).

What happened today was that, out of the blue, Guitarix didn't work with the settings that I've been using all these days. After revising the whole chain, it turned out that for some reason, "capture 2" was now "capture 1", and viceversa. Strange. Never had this kind of inconsistency before.

Through the intensive rehearsals of these days I took out of the equation the poor playing element, which blurred the other possible causes for the problem. I also learned more about Guitarix settings, which helped me discard the possibility of a poorly set tone. The 5.8ms latency is tolerable, but I'm dying to take distortion out of the box. The DAW should be nothing more than a glorified recorder.

The tutorials I've seen these days say completely different things. It's hard to differentiate actual information from noise, but at least they gave me ideas that then I could try through trial and error.

Anyways, I recorded the guitar track twice, hard panned one left and the other right, and after the tracking session I was able to listen to the whole thing without feeling repelled by it, which is always a good sign. In fact I was this close to overlay a few mockup vocals on top, to improve the currents ones, which are very rudimentary, and just for the fun of it. But recording vocals is always the most noisy part of the process and I have to be discrete.

Again, after the advances in the layering, I've discovered the blatantly obvious things that I have to improve in the drums next. So tomorrow it will be voice or drums, head or feet...

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"