Maple Dye, "Unloved"





In the peak of the pandemic, when everything was uncertain and scary, two ideas for songs came to me. Or better said, two powerful ideas that lived in me asked at some point for expression in a musical way.

One idea was "we'll get out of this shit, we always do. Hopefully the humans will learn something out of this. It will be worthwhile then, even if I don't get to see it".

This idea, through the proper alchemies, turned into "When We Make It Through The Storm".

The other idea was "we all have to die. If I win this nutty virus lottery, then so be it. The sad part is not that I have to die, but that, if I did, right now nobody would really give a fuck..."

This idea was the kernel for "Unloved". I reflected upon my life and found a lot of love had been given by me, but not so much received. My family is not the most mentally healthy and, from year zero, everything under the "love" label was generally just hidden blackmail. They also provided me with the "education" to make sure I would fail a lot, get around the wrong people, etc...

A first attempt at the song was scrapped because it sounded too much like a song of one of my influences, and also it was a bit too wimpy. When the Muse handed me this country tune, I changed a bit the tone and made it work. The moment when everything really came to life was when, after listening to some country, I had the idea of using scales and arpeggios for the bass line, to give it the song that "trotter" kind of feel that makes it good for a road trip.

The drums are overcompressed and sound a bit mechanic, without being, despite all my efforts. Lessons learned for the next time, and hopefully somebody will nevertheless listen to this song and connect with it...

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

"Crazy JS Teacher"