Captain's log #18

Yesterday I made an inventory of the obstacles remaining with the drum track, one in each index card, and tackled one. I then moved on to record the first bass tracks.

I have often had several songs on the works at the same time, but not so much this; I think there's something here. I knew the boring task with the drum was going to drain my brain, so I needed something fun to counterbalance. I would generally not like to have two tracks in the works at the same time (two cakes in two ovens; more programs open simultaneously, double of reference information needed...) But this time, given that the drum track was mature enough, I think it has been a good idea because when you lay the bass on top you start to get synergies (yesterday the "fairies" made a visit, that unexpected 5% that only pops up through the process of turning mental impulses into muscular energy that then turns into sound waves...)

A good thing with these synergies, again, is that it reduces the risk of overdoing things; when the drums interact with the bass, certain things you thought were needed become too intense, while you can also see clearly where is a gap...

I like the shape the song is taking, I can't wake to sing this sucker...

So today I'll try the same combo one more time; one soulsucking drum thing, then some more bass (I recorded a "good enough" version yesterday, but I think I'll try to record it again today; now that I've rebuilt the muscle memory, I think I can give it more expression, and use yesterday's session as a failsafe to farm from when I need snippets, etc...)

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"