Captain's log #14

Yesterday I tested options for the guitar feedback; surprisingly, feeding back the guitar to itself gives an interesting effect when you move the EQ from one side to other, so I think when the moment comes I'll use that mixed with a Rakarrack setting that screeches like hell when you turn it on (I used to hate it, so yesterday when I was looking for it among the others it was like "come back... I didn't mean it...")

Finishing the guitar experimentation was my baseline for the day; I also did one pass to the drum track, following this method: "I'll stop when something comes to mind". A note missing. An arrangement I could add. An existing arrangement that is too distracting. And of course the transitions (I'm very happy with them).

Relistening the track later, I found many moments where, while on the spot I thought "this is embarrassing, I'm not putting enough stuff", listening later the whole flow of the song, it works perfectly. Perhaps I tend to do too much and then I have to cut back. Maybe it's a matter of remembering that it all comes down to a guy sat on the bus, slapping his legs to kill time... Drums must be simple, and let the complication grow by itself when it has to. At least in my case.

I would like to give it a supernatural oomph and finish the drum track today. It's way too much, but aiming high is always a good thing. After that, when the rest of the song advances, maybe I'll have to change some final touches here and there; but yesterday's tests whetted my appetite for playing and recording. It happens to me all the time with the guitar; I have a hard time starting to play it, and once I start, I have a hard time stopping; yesterday I jammed my heart out, got myself in that state that makes you understand why musicians can benefit so much from having managers...

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"