Captain's log #30

Prep work for the vocal tracks. Last summer I instituted a concept called "lightning mode", which seems to stick. It is simply setting the software so that the singer (me but with a different hat) can get to the session, to be recording voice, in as few clicks as possible.

That way you take the software factor and its horrible stops out of the equation. After that is set, I also have a list for the hardware setup, and everything is orchestrated so that I can go in and out as quickly as possible (here I have to explain that I don't have a recording space of my own where I could leave my stuff in a stable manner...)

Preparing this lightning mode has taken more than I expected because it has forced me to advance in the computer configuration, something that I've been procrastinating as much as possible, giving preference to creating stuff and also to this nasty stuff I've recently had with the guitar tone.

Funny how you find this same dichotomy no matter what you're doing; cranking out stuff with what you already have, vs improving the machine, for the promise of better results, but while nothing gets through the door. In my Tony Stark life I have the same challenges of allocation of resources...

I will probably still have one prep session tomorrow to get the lightning mode stable + hardware setup, and then the next day I'd be recording the vocals.

Listening to the song today in a casual manner, "zooming out from the microscope", so to speak, I've suddenly surprised myself by going "holy shit" (to be more precise, the expression's equivalent in my native tongue) by how the thing rocked. The multilayered guitars quite do the trick, although the song still sounds a bit too demo-ish (unproduced, and using new programs in a new computer, what do you expect... But the song comes through, and this makes me so happy...)

Today ends a new deadline for these posts. I'll do a bit of a stretch and extend to #39, in honor of Queen's song of the same name.

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"