Captain's log #1

Not knowing where to start, today I applied the "begin with the end in mind" principle and created a Bandcamp draft for the upcoming album. I had the feeling I was accumulating a lot of resistance for not knowing what the "endgame" of the songs was going to be, and it seems I was right. As it often happens, I felt terribly lazy about going back to Bandcamp, (where did I put the password, etc...), but everything went smoothly.

The first thing I wanted to check was if I could publish a "work in progress album", i.e., an "album" already available with only one song when I've finished it, where I can upload new songs as I finish them. This doesn't seem to be possible, but in any case I'm happy I've done the test. I had never done a Bandcamp draft and it seems a good practice. The project feels more real.

I've uploaded a crappy cover version, the first .png I've found laying around, and I haven't even uploaded songs versions (the demos I had available were all .mp3s), but Bandcamp allows to place the song titles there without upload, so you can start to give shape to a playlist in a way a bit more enticing than a simple .txt file in your computer. It will be nice in the future, though, uploading actual music and pleasure myself with the playlist to check the best cadence of songs, etc...

Today has also turned out to be an application of the "It's the start what stops us" principle; having my in the works album in front of me has created kind of a virtuous cycle in which I've got more done than I imagined: the logo on top was a very primitive one, I have a better version now, where did I put that file, wait, I forgot to transfer it from the other hard drive, and does the art folder really have to live 6 levels deep, etc...

I guess what's next for tomorrow is doing some configuration work. I have the musical distro already installed (had to do it when I planned the partitions), but no configuration done. After having to configure my regular working system, I really don't feel like doing this stuff, I guess the best approach will be to configure things as they are required, instead of a big session, at least until my geek muscle is more recovered.

Speaking about the actual value creation work, i.e. playing, singing recording... It tires me only of thinking about it. My current environment is not very musician friendly, but hey, that's what systems are for, to keep you in place; the plane must reach the destination either it's sunny or rainy...

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"