Captain's log #5

Almost there with "Coming Back". The first part of the session went very well, everything flowed famously. It made me think of the Karate Kid movie, when Daniel san, sick and tired with so much "wax on, wax off", finally puts the training to use; Miyagi starts throwing punches at him, and his hands block the blows automatically, unconsciously; "the vocal track sounds too piercing at the beginning of the phrases?" That's because the compressor does not attack fast enough. "The guitar sounds as if it had a sponge stuck among the strings?". Let's open the EQ and chase those two or three suckers lingering in the middle range. "The solo sounds too 'telephonic'?". I've gone too far with the Low pass filter...

But at the end was too tired, and I wish I had stopped about half an hour before I did. I still have to relisten, but I think at the end I couldn't trust my own judgement. I stopped before I 'fried' the mix (it's happened me sometimes), but I have to become a better judge of my own ear fatigue...

But I wanted to finish, and also, I was having such a great time... The song has a part at the end with the vocals hummed, and I tried duplicating that part and lowering it one octave; it gives the ending a solemn, procession-like feel. How was I to stop after finding such new "toy"?

Today I'm pretty swallowed by non musical life so I don't know if I'll make it to the session. I'll try to at least touch base for a moment (but that's what I said last night and look what happened...)

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"