...and now the singer of Prodigy...

It has saddened me in these days knowing of the passing of Keith Flint, singer of the band Prodigy.
He was more or less my age. And he has died by his own hand.

Although rock and metal are my go-to styles of preference, I also frequent other genres, and also in my times I even had a brief (but intense) dive into the world of clubbing.

I had sympathy for Prodigy in the distance. I got to know them one day when I randomly switched on the TV to find the obscure, creepy video of "Breathe". "What the hell is this?"

In any genre, you can do it well or choose the wimpy way. Prodigy have always sounded authentic and edgy to me, a bit of a "punk" faction inside dance music.

I don't know (I haven't wanted to know) the particular circumstances of Flint's death. But it always saddens me when these unique musicians pass away (I thought the same with Dolores O'Riordan, although in her case I never really "got" the Cranberries). When people in the metal community die, it's sad, it's devastating, but at least you feel they are revered and beloved. Lemmy, Chris Cornell, Ronnie James Dio, Nick Menza... they come back periodically in the shape of tribute albums and concerts, commemoration events, etc... In the case of these "one offs", however, there's not such camaraderie. And I resent their loss just the same, because any original musician makes our world a bit larger...

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"