/000_previous_system - I use it on everything

My systems tend to become complicated with time. Computer folders don't have a limit to what you can put inside, so they can grow without control. Especially when you are trying all kind of different stuff in all kind of areas all the time.

A simple solution I've found is creating a folder named /000_previous_system in each of my areas (the initial 000 is to make sure the folder stays on top in the list).

What I do is: when I have an idea on how to simplify one of my systems, I put everything I don't remember what was for inside that folder. My systems become that way very simple, no more than 3-8 items per folder, one of them this 000 folder. That way, I can always "fish" later something I remember I worked upon, when the moment comes. It feels like shopping, it gives you a great feeling of wealth entering that folder where so much good work has already been done and you just have to dust it off and put it to work again.

I guess this system is similar in a way to, 5S's "Red label" in Lean: they use it to mark stuff that is no longer useful, which is usually given a deadline and then thrown away or stored in a more permanent location out of the gemba. With computers, however, and their files being so lightweight, you can take the "luxury" of not throwing anything away - heck, those files are filled with hours of devoted energy! But there is a delicate balance, because you can also become a bit of a "hostage" of the capability of create files so easily in the computer. Having this kind of kitchen sink folder makes it easy to take out of the way what you don't need to see right now.

I have been guilty in the past of deleting away files just for the sake of clarity. Well, the way to simplicity is not always simple, and that won't happen again.

When you acknowledge change, and the capability to change, as something important and valuable, it is important to start by making the changes easy to happen for you. The best tricks are often the simplest, and this one works very well for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"