Maple Dye, "Oh Dirty Happiness" / "The Tides Will Change"

C





I'm trying a little experiment with my launch schedule; for the following months, I'm going to publish songs in batches of two, composed of one "full fledged, hard sweat" song, plus some other thing lighter and simpler, preferrably from my most recent inventory.

The idea came simply because I noticed a lack of balance between the amount of music I have in my vaults and the amount I'm showing "in public". As a listener, I enjoy a lot of that less polished stuff, and I think other people might too; and keeping those pieces to myself in a way "poisons my blood", blocks the circuit. I need to make them at least available, potentially possible to be listened to. It also turns out that those pieces, given the long time it takes me to produce a song, are going to be more recent, closer to the year 2020, and therefore closer to my current sensitivity and the world's.

Only later I've noticed, with delight, that this 2 song structure replicates closely the singles of yore, where you got an A side with the "main dish", and then the rarity, silly song, cover or alternate take in B side for die hard fans and collectors... Singles later became EPs (extended play) and EPs LPs (long plays)... So this is in a way a return to the origin...

About "Oh Dirty Happiness": it is a song from the same composition cycle of some of my recent releases ("Wild Lovers", "Walk Away", "As My Mood Goes Down")... Like them, it has had a tortuous story that started in a tape recorder in 1993, then moved through different houses and equipments... In the final result I can see like geologic layers elements from those different periods of my life (the Morrisonesque vocal delivery, from the 90s when I had just discovered The Doors, the electric guitar interlude from the 2010s, when I started to dabble in home recording and see its possibilities, the lyrics that I wouldn't probably had been able to write before my emigrant experience of 2014-6...) At the same time, I don't think all of this goes against the unity of the final product; on the contrary, it just enriches it. The mixing and mastering was in this case a nightmare, but a nightmare out of which I've learned a lot I think...

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"