Maple Dye, "Walk Away"

 





This power pop song was composed in the pre-Internet times. The composition has stayed steady from those arcane days, but it's interesting how, on the contrary, the production has changed a lot, and to high degree been defined by circumstances, in an example of adaptation, of resiliency.

Particularly I'm thinking of the part with the keyboard melody; at first, my idea was playing a very elaborate keyboard solo, starting from the initial theme and then building up in a "psychedelic" way, a la Ray Manzarek.

However, when the moment came I didn't have access to a proper keyboard, only the computer's, so I decided to do a very straightforward arrangement instead, and then filling up that section with other instruments.

Time goes by, a lot of life happens, and, alas, when I'm finally going to weave a few electric guitars for that section, I found that this time it is my guitar what betrays me.

Enter vocal harmonies. Maple Dye featuring The Mamas & The Papas. This part "opened like a fan" as I worked in it, due to the need of creating a progression by degrees from the previous simplicity, which required additional introductory uuhhs... So finally, counting buses and all, I ended up needing 8 tracks, probably the biggest vocal arrangement I've done so far in a song.

I'm happy with the result and with how all these transformations have been faithful to the "slightly naif yet energetic" spirit I intended. It's been a long time, but I think I probably composed it under the recent effects of The Yardbirds, or The Who's first album. Hope you like it...

Popular posts from this blog

Iumring tq gqngiusiqns

Maple Dye, "Unloved"

"Crazy JS Teacher"